Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Heathcote weighs in on Davis

Jud Heathcote has some opinions on Paul Davis and the MSU basketball team.

While I do agree that too much pressure has been placed on Davis' narrow shoulders, I also think part of the problem is the position he is asked to play.

I would like to see Davis play power forward, because it's pretty clear at this point that he not only is not a center, but doesn't want to be one either. He rarely takes the ball hard to the basket and loves shooting jumpers. Hey, some guys just aren't meant to be post players, even if they are tall. Adrian Dantley was 6'4", but he posted up all the time.

So if Davis doesn't play center, who does? My vote is for Delco Rowley. Granted, Rowley is still learning and fouls way too much. But I really despise all the multiple-guard lineups MSU has used the last two years. To be honest, I think Tom Izzo does too, but I just don't think he trusts Rowley yet. In addition, as stated here previously, Drew Naymick is borderline useless.

But I believe Rowley and Naymick would benefit from being on the floor at the same time as Davis. It's worth a try, because we saw last year that going small just doesn't work long term.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home