Monday, May 23, 2005

I don't hate school anymore

When I was the age most rational people attend college, I attended college.

Actually, I registered for some classes and showed up every now and then. I never did get any kind of degree, completing about 60 credits worth and finally deciding that I just couldn't do it even one more day. I hated school. I have never been one to tolerate busy work, and that's how I looked at most of my assignments. If it interested me, I did it. If not, I did it half-ass or not at all.

Now, having come to the realization that my boss is actually the devil and that I no longer wish to work where I do forever, I'm going back. I started at Colorado Tech Online in January. Oddly enough, I not only don't hate it, but I'm making a superhuman effort (by my standards) to learn and do well. I have a 4.0 through the first half-dozen classes I've taken (they're about five weeks long, with a lot of work packed into that time) and have given thought to continuing on after I have my Bachelor's.

I can't really put my finger on why I'm willing to work at this now. I sure as hell wouldn't have worked like this 10 or 12 years ago. Maybe it's because my Business Management classes actually seem relevant, whereas none of it did before. Or maybe it's because I've matured - another problem in my younger days was the never-ending (and I do literally mean NEVER) party scene I was on.

Of course, some of the people on that scene managed to get their education in the process.

With any luck, I'll be done next March. Armed with a degree, I should at least be able to get the hell out of the dungeon I'm in now. I really ,really like most of my co-workers, but other aspects of the job just aren't worth it anymore.

If anyone reading this is lacking a degree and thinking about going back to school, I'd recommend at least checking out some online programs. It isn't the Ivy League, for sure, but I enjoy my classes. I never thought I'd say such a thing not too long ago.

2 Comments:

At 4:29 PM, Blogger WordWhiz said...

I took a couple of college courses about four years ago. My ex was a college professor and I could attend free. I thought, "Why not take advantage of the perk?" I took a computer class (to help me at work) and an environmental issues class (it was just interesting). I really enjoyed it and have often thought about taking more. (Although now I'd have to PAY for them!) But these days, time is such an issue. Are on-line classes things you do according to your own schedule? I may look into this. (Even though I am a woman who is wise beyond my years.) Thanks for the tip!

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger WordWhiz said...

TAG...see my blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home